Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ahhhh, Family Day

A view so lovely you would never
know it was the middle of February
When the Ontario government introduced the idea of a long weekend in February, I thought the idea was ridiculous, never mind the rant that ensued between myself and the T.V. about how unfair this was to the people that did not have a family, or those that did not subscribe to the idea of what is considered the 'traditional' model of a family. However, as a Canadian, who am I to throw away a long weekend given to me by the grace of the ever omniscient government?  Damn it, I was determined to make the best of it this year!

As all good family outings begin, I decided that Family Day was going to be the ideal day to look for dinning room chairs.  Nothing says family like dinning room, so hence, this was my rationale.  I convinced Dave that Stoney Creek Furniture was going to be the answer to our chairlessness. He agreed on the road trip and off we went in Dave's car (aka The Smartie).

As with every trip to the Hamilton area, we planned our schedule to include a trip to Hutch's on the beach. I was first introduced to Hutch's just prior to my moving to Hamilton (Ah, Hamilton; I can't say I was sad to leave)  when, as a right of passage you could say, Dave brought me to the hallowed location that serves the best fish and chips in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE.  Hutches was a tradition for Dave, his siblings, and his cousins when they were growing up.  Dave's Opa would bring the kids down to the beach on the weekend and inevitably end up at Hutch's. To say the very least, this is a very special place for Dave and, though it was the reason for serious weight gain while I lived down the street, it has become a very special place for me as well.
Same awesome sign with neon fries!

The ordering is simple at Hutch's.  You have a small fish and chips or you have a large.  The interior is straight from the original 50's when they first opened.  They wrap your order in newspaper and there is only one size of drink.  It is very easy to feel like you have traveled back in time and the comfort that comes from realizing that there really is somewhere in the world that has never changed is something that cannot be replaced.  The customers come from every walk of life and I always choose to sit at a booth that is next to a sweet old couple.  I like to think that they too came to this place when they were first married, then with their children and still now that they have grown old with one another.

I think I can hear my arteries crying.
The large fish and chips is bigger than one person can consume and always goes home with you.  Believe me, there are actually two giant pieces of fish below that pile of fries!

The very best part of any meal at Hutch's is the extra fries that are saved for seagulls that circle the beach outside the back door that leads to the beach. Though I know there is a very good chance that I might be crapped on,  I always throw some fries into the air to see the chaos that will ensue.  After all, tradition is tradition.


Hitchcock anyone?


Though we had some serious issues finding dinning room chairs, and came home empty handed (except for the leftovers) we found exactly what we were looking for at Hutch's. We found tradition and a chance to celebrate family. We had an amazing chance to celebrate Opa's life and memory on a beautiful day at one of his favourite places. If this isn't the point of family day, I don't know what is. 

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so nice :) I am glad you had a lovely, family filled family day!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete