Sunday, March 20, 2011

March Break - Activity # 2

Our egg tree on the foyer table
So, I love Easter. That's right, Easter.
In fact, it is my absolute favorite holiday of the year (All Hallows Eve being the next runner up).  Faith aside, and believe me, most of the reason I love this holiday has everything to do with my faith, I think it is the most beautiful and hopeful holiday of the year.  In the colour department it is absolutely the most pretty, and in the season department it brings Spring. Who couldn't love Easter?

On the faith side, Easter ultimately means that we all have a new start. We can brush off the dust and crap like the Winter leftovers that remain from the thaw and like an Easter egg, we are given a chance for a fresh start at beautiful new beginning.  Easter and Spring bring us re-birth like a cuddly baby little lamb after a long time in the barn.  That's Easter to me.

My birthday is in March, and as a result, all my life I have received gifts that somehow had a connection to Easter.  At some point people began giving me bunnies and it became a birthday trend that turned into an homage of seasonal decor.  It also doesn't hurt that the scent of Easter lilies and hyacinths is the best smell on earth (next to a freshly tilled garden) and it is also my birthday smell, if you will indulge a person to have a birthday smell. So, as a result of combined celebrations,  I have embraced this holiday season by filling our house with all the Easter things I love.  Dave just smiles with that, "look how I managed to domesticate the wild one" look as I participate in these sorts of things.

This year I was determined to have an Easter egg wreath for our front door.  Dave humored me as we went on a hunt (no pun intended) for this egg wreath.  We searched high and low. I think I may have been in every shop in our town to find one, but to no avail. Those I found were either ugly or too small.  Then it dawned on me! Why not just make one? So I did...

I decided that the best place to make this project was at my family flower shop.  For 16 years I have had the luxury of easy access to supplies of the trade at my finger tips.  Though this was not at all going to test my floral skills, it gave me the excuse to hang out with my sister while I dipped my cute little eggs in the hot glue pan.


There was a need for me to scout out just the right eggs for this project.  The right melange of eggs is key to ultimate curb-appeal once on the door.  These were two sizes, some glittery and some beaded.


This is the standard wicker frame I decided to use.  Not too heavy but nice and strong.


This is the pile as I take a break from gluing.  They started off as eggs on a metal pick, so thanks to Max, I did not have to cut a million eggs off their wires!  That's love I tell you.


Here is the final product on our front door. Gone are the very yellowed Christmas containers and greenery.  Now we have a festive little purple urn with artificial forsythia and the ultimate egg wreath.  

I am thinking I might need to scout out an Easter door mat though, don't you think?  I pulled out our summer one and it's just not doing it for me.  The hunt continues... 


1 comment:

  1. I love love love it!! So bright and colorful!

    When I read that you were going to your family flower shop, it made me so incredibly happy! I remember I LOVED that place. I also remember putting together 3000 boxes once....

    Ah yes the good old times :) Awesome job love!

    ReplyDelete